· What is your book about? Choices, fate, love, hardships, growing up, death, and rebirth.
· What inspired you to write this particular story (and/or series)? I love fiction and especially creating unique stories and worlds. I adore mythical fairy tales, so I knew I wanted Arie’s world to revolve around that feel.
· Describe your writing in three words. Organic, natural, visual
· Do you have specific techniques you use to develop the plot and stay on track? If you call sitting down and just writing a technique, then yes! LOL! I did extensive studies in creative and screen writing at USC and UCLA extension and the one thing that I held onto the most is that the more organically you let a story flow through you the more naturally it will develop. I honestly had no idea where my story was going to go. I had a vague plot idea and my main character, Arie, and that was about it. I trusted my imagination enough to just sit and write and let the characters take over where the story would go. I am more than happy with how it turned out.
· Are your characters in the book based on anyone you know? I believe that all writers put a little of themselves into their characters, so yes, Arie has a little of me in her. None of the other characters were based on anybody I know. I don’t have much time for reading or watching TV, so it gives my imagination free reign to create whatever character attributes it wants. Although I met one of my characters after I had finished writing my book. It was a very surreal experience to say the least. I’ll leave it at that!
· Was there any research involved in your work? Yes. I researched gems and their meanings, which will take on a bigger role throughout the series. I also, researched mythical beings. I don’t want to spoil anything so I won’t say specifically what.
· What authors inspire or influence your work? My most recent reads (which was a while ago) were the Twilight series, Hunger Games series, The Sookie Stackhouse series, and The Mageri series.
· Do you need visual media to describe people or places? (Some authors use pics. out of magazines) Not for people, but I like to get out in the world, so I can be more detailed with the worlds I create. I am a very visual and passionate person, so I crave sensations of all kinds.
· Favorite snack when writing. I don’t snack while writing. I drink coffee, though!
· Do you have a Muse? Music! It's a permanent part of my writing life. The emotions and feelings the artists project evoke so much inspiration in me.
· Once a character is fully developed do you set them free or do they still dance around your mind? I don’t know yet. This is my debut novel and it’s a series, so all of my characters are still evolving.
· Is the Thesaurus one of your best writing friends? Actually, no. I have such a strong background in English and grammar that I am fortunate that the words seem to just come to me.
· Who gets to read your drafts before they're published? My sister-in-law, Nichole, and two of my beta-readers. Although since this is my debut novel I enlisted more than a few dozen to review before it was published. I had over ten beta readers before the editing even started just to get feedback and notes.
· Share with us your biggest hurdles in the writing process? Finding the time to write. I have a very busy life with my hand in too many things at once. I am hoping to cut back on the other things to focus more on writing.
· Share the biggest hurdles in the marketing process. Everything! LOL! I am a people person, so I made a lot of great connections fast, but I still feel I have just barely scratched the surface of getting my book out there.
· What project(s) are you working on now? Book 2 in The Life of Arie series and a dark romance called A Firefighter’s Flame.
· Is there anything else you would like to say to your readers? Authors, especially indie, wouldn’t exist without your support and love for books, so thank you for your passion!
· Where can readers find you and your book(s) online? Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or they can ordered signed paperbacks directly from my blog page www.authordanihart.blogspot.com